From our humble beginnings and with the help of our many dedicated team members and business partners, Liquidity Services has grown to a global leader with the world’s largest online marketplace for business surplus. Our passion and persistence has benefited millions of buyers, sellers, and the planet as we enable surplus assets to be redeployed and sold, eliminating waste in the process.
Indeed, we have built a Better Future For Surplus through our entrepreneurial drive and agility, setting the stage for our next phase of innovation, growth, and success.
So, in honor of our birthday, here’s 20 neat things you might not have known about Liquidity Services.
- We were founded in November 1999 by Bill Angrick with $100,000 in savings, who recruited Jaime Mateus-Tique and Ben Brown to join as co-founders shortly thereafter.
- We were founded on seven Core Values: Integrity, Customer Focus, Relentless Improvement, Innovation to Support Leadership, Mutual Trust and Accountability, Shared Success, and Doing Well and Doing Good.
- Our first marketplace was Liquidation.com.
- The first corporate office for Liquidity Services was located on K Street in Washington DC and subleased from the Al Gore Presidential campaign; it opened in January 2000 with only six employees.
- One of Liquidity Services’ first transactions was the $200,000 sale of the George T. Bagby, a marine vessel for the State of Georgia’s Natural Resources; one of the largest asset sales we have completed was for hydrocracker reactors, totaling $18 million in sales.
- In 2001, we won our first major proposal with an exclusive contract with the Department of Defense to sell all demilitarized U.S. military surplus.
- We reached $72 million in annual sales and profitability in 2002 – less than three years after our founding.
- Liquidity Services CEO Bill Angrick was awarded the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award for the DC Region in 2005.
- Liquidity Services’ IPO took place on February 23, 2006, under the symbol LQDT.
- In 2008 we acquired GovDeals to enable state and local government agencies to sell their surplus assets in an open and transparent online auction marketplace.
- Over the last 20 years, we’ve completed over $8 billion in transactions in 500+ asset categories.
- Over half a million transactions are completed on our marketplaces every year.
- 14,000+ sellers around the world trust Liquidity Services to manage, value, and sell their business surplus.
- We have over 3.5 million registered buyers on our marketplaces across nearly 200 countries and territories.
- We’re truly global, with subsidiary offices in the United States, Canada, Europe, and Asia.
- Nearly 700 Liquidity Services employees support our mission to create a Better Future for Surplus.
- Liquidity Services has been named to the Forbes Magazine List of Best Small-Cap Companies in America six times.
- … and to the Washington Post Top 200 Companies seven times.
- Our solution supports zero-waste and sustainability initiatives for our commercial and government clients by deferring idle assets and consumer goods from landfills.
- To support our next phase of growth and innovation, we have launched our RISE initiative. This focuses on: Recovery maximization, Increasing sales, Service expansion, and Expense leverage.
Happy birthday, Liquidity Services! Here’s to another 20 years of delivering innovation and value to our buyers, our sellers, and our planet!